Macaroni and Cheese
Write a review
- 4 slices good-quality white bread, crusts removed, torn or cut into 1/4- to 1/2-inch pieces
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for dish
- 5 ½ Cups Milk
- ½ Cup Unbleached All-purpose flour
- 2 Tsp. Kosher salt
- 1/4 Tsp. Grated nutmeg
- 1/4 Tsp. Ground black pepper
- ½ Cup Grated sharp white cheddar
- 1 Cup Grated Gruyere
- ½ Cups Grated Pecorino Romano
- ½ Cup Grated Parmesan
- 1 Jar Terra Verde Foods Hatch Green Chile Sauce
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- Heat the oven to 375°. Butter a 3-quart casserole dish; set aside. Place bread pieces in a medium bowl.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Pour butter into the bowl with bread, and toss. Set the bread crumbs aside.
- Heat milk in a medium saucepan set over medium heat. Melt remaining 6 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium heat. When butter bubbles, add flour. Cook, stirring, 1 minute (this eliminates the raw flour taste). Slowly pour hot milk into flour-butter mixture while whisking. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in salt, nutmeg, black pepper, add cheeses (reserving ¼ Cup each of the grated cheeses) and the Terra Verde Foods Hatch Green Chili Sauce. Blend well. Set cheese sauce aside.
- Fill a large saucepan with water. Bring to a boil. Add macaroni (cook per manufacture’s directions until “al dente”). Transfer the macaroni to a colander, rinse under cold running water, and drain well. Stir macaroni into the reserved cheese sauce.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle remaining ¾ Cup of grated cheese over casserole; scatter bread crumbs over the top. Bake until browned on top, about 30 minutes. Transfer dish to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes; serve.
- This recipe can be divided in half; use a 1 1/2-quart casserole dish if you do.
Terra Verde Foods http://terraverdefoods.net/